Camera model: C740UZ
Date: 10 September 2004
Time: 13:59:49
Exposure Time: 1/50
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Bias: 0.00
ISO: 104
Focal Length: 7.8 mm
Exposure Program: Creative program (biased toward depth of field)
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Metering Mode: Spot
Light Source: unknown
White Balance: Auto white balance
Software: Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0
Votes

Score: 3.75 (16 votes)

Like this photo? Want to own a copy? Contact us!

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

9 Responses to “Porcelain Crab - Neopetrolisthes maculatus”

1. Irene Pramudito says:

I love this one… so cute!!
    (comments do not have to be technical, right?) ;)

But honestly, the composition is very good. A seasoned photographer told me that it’s good to have some kind of diagonal “line” cutting across the picture. The resulting symmetry is very pleasing to the eyes…. In this picture, the diagonal line is very clearly defined, it goes from just below the top left corner to the bottom right corner, dissecting the picture into two tones (darker and lighter). The “line” frames the object (crab) so it is very prominent.

Sorry if this sounds like bullsh*t, I can’t explain it the way my “master” does :(

2. Mulyadi Setiono says:

Sounds good Irene, it make sense:)

I think focus is a bit off, the background anemone is sharper than the crab..

3. Richard Harlan says:

I agree with Mul, besides it needs more lighting in the bottom

4. Irene Pramudito says:

A picture does not have to be evenly lighted to be good. This one works very well because the dark area is a stark contrast to the lighter area… It makes the object in the middle stand out. (Not sure if this is intentional, but it’s great nevertheless).

Sometimes you get shadows from your lens barrel (which obstructs the flash). This picture is a great example of how you can use the shadow to your advantage - by creating a contrast that enhances the object.

5. Richard Harlan says:

A picture is not necessarily evently lighted indeed. The composition and the story and else will show, and to my humble personal opinion, this one need more light in the bottom.
    Shadow from the lens barrel is indeed very tricky; many times (not always) can be solved by using hollow soft reflector (custom made).

6. Yuji says:

The flash in this pic actually should fire level with the crab,perhaps using slow flash to light up the surounding 1st will be better.But the flash here fired slightly above the crab,it caused the lower part become darker.Huh…i already lying on the sea floor!!

7. Richard Harlan says:

Thanks Yuji, you mention all the condition, flash and surrounding area… we can learn lots from it.

8. Fanty Tjin says:

This is cool bro!!! wow! you are a good photographer. i like this a lot. :) keep on shooting. good job!

9. Tom F. Chandra says:

I think you are specializing in this creature

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.